Although you manage your time in UW Flexible Option courses to fit your schedule, there is one required time-sensitive activity. For each course you are enrolled in, you must demonstrate academic engagement at the beginning of the subscription period to establish attendance. This is a federal policy requirement and is not optional.
If you do not demonstrate academic engagement within the first 8 days of the subscription period, you will be administratively withdrawn from the course. If administratively withdrawn from a course, you may not re-enroll in it until your next subscription period.
Ways to Establish Attendance
In UW Flexible Option courses, you may complete this requirement in one of two ways.
- Turn in any completed assessment by the 8th day of the subscription period;
- Complete a short Flex Course Check-In (FCC) activity by the 8th day of the subscription period.
The Flex Course Check-In (FCC) is a one-question quiz that is available in each course. The question focuses on syllabus materials and is either a short-answer question or a multiple-choice question (see examples below). The quiz does not have a time limit.
You will need to either submit a completed assessment, or complete the FCC, by the 8th day of class, in each course you enroll in, for every subscription period. You will receive reminders by email if you have not demonstrated academic engagement.
Sample Questions on the Flex Course Check-In
To give you a sense of the type of question that your instructor might ask in the FCC, here are a couple of examples:
- Review the course objectives and assessments. As you compare these to your current knowledge and skills, which topic is most familiar to you, and which competency will require the most learning and preparatory work on your part?
- You have read the syllabus and studied the kinds of assessments you will complete in this course. Select the item from the list below that best describes the kinds of assessments you will complete.
- Two papers and one proctored exam.
- One paper and one project.
- Three timed quizzes and one paper.
- Four lab reports and one paper.
If you have any questions about the Flex Course Check-In activity, please contact your instructor or Success Coach.
The Substance Use Disorders Counseling Certificate is non-credit and does not have this federal requirement at this time.