If you need to take an online course to fulfill a prerequisite, to supplement your studies in another degree program, as professional development or for personal enrichment, the UW Flexible Option is for you. As a special student, you can complete your courses at a pace that works for you.
UW Flexible Option offers nearly 150 online courses year-round, so you won’t have to wait for the next semester to start to begin your studies.
You may use Transferology to make sure the course you want to take transfers how you expect it to. If you are currently enrolled in a on campus or online program at UW-Milwaukee or UW-Parkside, please check with our advisers to learn about your options.
Before you enroll, be sure to review how the unique, competency-based features of the UW Flexible Option will work for you.
Before You Apply
Applying as a Special Student
Before you enroll as a special student in the UW Flexible Option, there are a few key steps:
- Decide which online course or courses you want to take. Click on the links below to see the courses offered in that subject area.
- Confirm with your home campus that the course transfers towards your degree. You may also use Transferology
- Take time to learn more about competency-based education (CBE) and how it works. It is a unique style of learning and offers maximum flexibility as you set your own schedule and learn the material at your own pace.
- Decide on a funding plan based on the tuition rate of the course(s) you are planning on taking. UW Flexible Option has a unique tuition approach. You can take just a single course for $1,125, or pay a flat rate of $2,250 for as many courses as you want to take during one, 12-week subscription period, regardless of credits. (If you are taking business courses at UW-Parkside, you cannot use single course tuition).
- Special Students are not eligible for financial aid. If you are degree-seeking at another UW institution, check with your home campus for information on a consortium agreement.
How to Apply
- Submit your application via the eApplication (eApp) portal.
- For a UW-Milwaukee course offered through the UW Flexible Option, on the eApp first choose “UW-Milwaukee” and then select “UW Flexible Option Special Student”
- For a UW-Parkside course offered through the UW Flexible Option, on the eApp first choose “UW-Parkside” and then select “UW Flexible Option Special Student”
- New classes start every month. The application deadline is the 15th of the month prior to when you want to begin.
- After you submit your e-application, you will complete a short, 15-minute orientation
- Your Success Coach (SC) will assist you with registering for courses. If your course requires a prerequisite or placement testing, your SC will assist you with any needed documentation.
After You Are Admitted
Enrolling in Your Online Course
Congratulations on being admitted! Shortly after being admitted, you will receive an introductory email from your Success Coach (SC). Your SC will assist you with registering for your courses*. If your course requires a prerequisite or placement testing, your SC will assist you with any needed documentation.
Additionally, review the Orientation Packet you received via email. This is your most important resource and has everything in it that you need to succeed. It also covers the unique academic policies of the UW Flexible Option.
If you have any questions, contact your Success Coach by email email@example.com or call (608-262-2011). They will help walk you through this process!
*If the course options you were looking for are not available through UW Flexible Option and you no longer wish to proceed with your application, please cancel your application by submitting the application cancellation form.
Here are some helpful links for you to keep coming back to:
|UWM Student Email||UWM Student Information System||Access your coursework|
|UW-Parkside Email||UW-Parkside Student Information System||Access your coursework|