If you need to take an online course to fulfill a prerequisite, to supplement your studies in another degree program, as professional development or for personal enrichment, the UW Flexible Option is for you. As a special student, you can complete your courses at a pace that works for you.
UW Flexible Option offers nearly 150 online courses year-round, so you won’t have to wait for the next semester to start to begin your studies.
You may use Transferology to make sure the course you want to take transfers how you expect it to. If you are currently enrolled in a on campus or online program at UW-Milwaukee or UW-Parkside, please check with our advisers to learn about your options.
Before you enroll, be sure to review how the unique, competency-based features of the UW Flexible Option will work for you.
Before You Apply
Applying as a Special Student
Before you enroll as a special student in the UW Flexible Option, there are a few key steps:
- Take time to learn more about competency-based education (CBE) and how it works. It is a unique style of learning, and offers maximum flexibility as you set your own schedule and learn the material at your own pace.
- Decide which online course or courses you want to take. Click on the links below to see the courses offered in that subject area.
- Confirm with your home campus that the course transfers towards your degree. You may also use Transferology
- Decide on a funding plan based on the tuition rate of the course(s) you are planning on taking. UW Flexible Option has a unique tuition approach. You can take just a single course for $1,125, or pay a flat-rate $2,250 for as many courses as you want to take during one, 12-week subscription period, regardless of credits. (If you are taking business courses at UW-Parkside, you cannot use single course tuition).
- Special Students are not eligible for financial aid. If you are degree-seeking at another UW institution, check with your home campus for information on a consortium agreement.
How to Apply
- Submit your application via the eApplication (eApp) portal.
- New classes start every month. The application deadline is the 15th of the month prior to when you want to begin.
- After you submit your e-application, you will complete a short, 15 minute orientation
- Some courses might have a prerequisite, or require placement testing. Your Success Coach will assist you on documentation that may be required once you’re admitted.
After You Are Admitted
Enrolling in Your Online Course
Congratulations on being admitted! Shortly after being admitted, you should receive an introductory email from your Success Coach that outlines your next steps. Read this email carefully.
If you have any questions, contact your Success Coach by email email@example.com or call (608-262-2011). They will help walk you through this process!
Additionally, review the Orientation Packet you received via email. This is your most important resource, and has everything in it that you need to succeed. This includes how to get setup in your campus system, pay your tuition bill, and register for courses. It also covers the unique academic policies of the UW Flexible Option.
Here are some helpful links for you to keep coming back to:
|UWM Student Email||UWM Student Information System||Access your coursework|
|UW-Parkside Email||UW-Parkside Student Information System||Access your coursework|