Congratulations! Your hard work has paid off and the time has come for you to notify the University of your intent to graduate. As with a traditional program, there is a defined process for students who are completing their degree or certificate program.
Apply for graduation in the month prior to the start of your final subscription period.
- The application for graduation is found in the “other academics” drop-down in your PAWS Student Center. There is an online senior survey included as part of the application process. Please disregard this survey. You will have the opportunity to complete an alternative Flex-specific survey later in the process.
- There is a $40 graduation fee for all students. This fee will be posted to your PAWS account after you submit your graduation application. It will appear as a separate fee and will not be included in the tuition dollar amount.
- When you complete your graduation application, the Registrar’s Office will automatically be notified of your intent to graduate. This triggers an official final review of your academic work to make sure you have completed your program requirements. Your Success Coach will notify you of any unmet requirements, or better yet, deliver the good news!
- Once your official grades are posted for your final subscription period, (at the close of the 4th calendar day after the end of the subscription period), a final graduation audit will be performed. If all is in order, your degree will be posted and your graduation official!
Check PAWS and resolve any holds (financial or other) on your student account. Your diploma will be held until your account status is in good standing.
- The Registrar’s Office will order your diploma after the degree is posted. Your diploma will indicate that your degree is granted by the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee.
- Your diploma will indicate the final date of your last subscription period. This will be considered the date your “degree was conferred.”
Participate in Commencement and/or Departmental Celebrations (optional)
- Two graduation ceremonies are available for UW-Milwaukee Flex students. One takes place in May and the other in December. Once you have applied for graduation, you will receive information about the UWM graduation process and ceremony. There will be an effort made to include you in the ceremony that occurs closest to the completion of your degree.
- Should you wish to have your name appear in the ceremony booklet, plan ahead; the book is ordered approximately 6 weeks prior to the event. You may march without your name appearing, however, if you wish it to appear, you must meet the deadline dates:
- December commencement – students who apply by 10/1 will be included in the December commencement booklet
- May Commencement – students who apply by 3/31 will be included in the May commencement booklet
- If you have been cleared for graduation and had not intended to march but now wish to participate in a ceremony, you may do so if there is time to receive a UWM cap and gown. You would simply show up at the ceremony, with cap and gown, and submit your name to be read as you walked across the stage to receive your diploma cover (diplomas are not issued at the ceremony; an empty cover is handed out).
- In the event that you don’t successfully complete your final courses as expected, your form will be held, and depending on the timing, you may be asked to participate in the next ceremony rather than the current one. If you have already paid the graduation fee, this too will be held on the account; you will not be charged again.
Additional Events by Program (optional):
College of Nursing Pinning and Hooding Ceremony
- In addition to the UWM commencement ceremony, the College of Nursing holds a Pinning Ceremony celebration for its nursing graduates. This event is held twice a year, on Saturday that precedes the campus commencement ceremony.
- There is no additional fee required to participate.
- You will be notified of the event and details by the College of Nursing Student Affairs Office during your last subscription period. Included in the information will be a form that you are asked to complete, indicating any previous recognitions or awards received and other pertinent information. This form should be completed and submitted at the beginning of the final month of the subscription period in which you will be completing your program.
- In the event you don’t successfully complete your final courses expected, your Success Coach will inform the College of Nursing of the situation. As with your campus graduation application, your College of Nursing form will be held, and depending on the timing, you may be asked to participate in the next ceremony rather than the current one.
School of Information Studies
- The School of Information Studies hosts a Recognition Ceremony in both fall and spring, held in tandem with the campus commencement event. You can elect to participate in either program.
- There is no additional fee assessed for participation.
- After you have submitted your application for graduation, you will receive information directly from the School of Information Studies about the event, along with a survey that requests an rsvp. Information is also posted to the SOIS website.
- In the event you don’t successfully complete your final courses as expected, your Success Coach will inform the School of Information Studies of the situation. You may still be eligible to participate in the event, however, you will be sent a new form, once your final subscription period is determined.